- Russian Imperial Crimean War Chaplain’s Cross 1853-56
Russian Imperial Crimean War Chaplain’s Cross 1853-56
Russian Imperial Crimean War Chaplain’s Cross 1853-56.
The cross in question was issued in copper and somebody during the this period has silvered the piece, which does enhance the look of the cross. The cross would have been worn around the neck of the Chaplain on a red and black ribbon and was accepted as a high honour.
The Cross was instituted on 26 August 1856 to commemorate the end of the Crimean War and is known in the official documentation as the ‘Cross to the Clergy for the Eastern War’. It was intended to recognise the key role played by the Orthodox Church in giving religious and moral support and comfort to both front-line troops and their families and to those many civilians supporting the war effort. The cross measures just over 10cms high x 6cms across.